Vivendi’s pay-TV company Canal+ has asked the government to persuade TF1 to allow TF1 to air for free, two days after it stopped broadcasting the channel because TF1’s asking price was too high. .
Canal+ chairman Maxime Saada said in an interview with the weekly Journal du Dimanche that TF1’s request for a 50% increase in the contract with Canal+, which ended on August 31, was unacceptable. “DTT (digital terrestrial television) channels like TF1 Group are and must remain free to the general public,” he said.
French daily Le Parisien said on Saturday that it had seen a letter from Culture Minister Rima Abdul Malak, in which she told Canal+ management, “Hundreds of thousands of households will no longer receive all DTT channels. I asked them to show a sense of responsibility and a general interest in avoiding doing so.” Saada said negotiations with her TF1, a subsidiary of Bouygues-his group, were a private matter between the companies, but the government had the means to intervene.
“Public authorities can ask TF1 to honor its obligation to make the signal free of charge. The two groups had already clashed over the issue in the spring of 2018. Temporarily suspending free channels for broadcast TF1 groups for subscribers after refusing to pay for broadcast channels that can be accessed for free via.
The signal was later restored after the intervention of the audiovisual regulator CSA and the then Minister of Culture.
(This article is not edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)