Starting an independent music career as a singer-songwriter can be challenging, but it is also very rewarding. Here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Develop your songwriting skills: This is one of the most important steps, so you need to have your own unique and high-quality content to stand out. Write as many songs as you can, and then critique your work to see what improvements can be made.
- Get your music out there: Start by sharing your music on social media platforms such as Instagram, YouTube, and SoundCloud. Build a following and engage with your audience.
- Build a fanbase: Network with other musicians and industry professionals, and play live as often as you can. Playing live is one of the best ways to build a fanbase and get your music heard.
- Get professional recordings: Invest in professional recordings of your songs to use as demos or to release as singles. This can help you get your music heard by more people and start building a professional portfolio.
- Seek industry help: Reach out to music industry professionals such as managers, agents, and publicists, who can help you get your music heard by more people, and help you book gigs, and set up strategic partnerships.
- Stay organized: Create a website and social media profiles for your music, and use them to stay in touch with fans, promote your music, and keep people updated on your career. Also use marketing tools and techniques to reach a wider audience.
- Monetize your music: There are many ways to make money from your music, such as streaming platforms, live shows, merchandise sales, and synch licensing, find the one that works better for you and focus on it.